Lloyd Seay (pronounced See) was well known to Georgia lawmen. "He was without a doubt the best automobile driver of this time. He was absolutely fearless, and an excellent driver on those dusty, dirt roads. I caught him eight times and had to shoot his tires off every time," said one deputy. Another told of a night when he stopped Seay for speeding as he headed north for another load of 'shine. Seay handed the deputy two $10's. The officer said, "You know the fine is only $10.00." Seay responded, "I'm paying for my return trip later tonight."

At age 18 Lloyd took his tripper skills to the track. At age 21, he joined his cousin, Roy Hall, for the beach races in a car owned by another cousin, Raymond Parks. "Lloyd Seay put his heart and life into racing long before the era of great material reward. He raced flat out simply because he loved going fast," says racing historian Greg Fielden.

Although Seay started 15th in the August 24, 1941 beach race, he led the entire 50 laps for his first win in five starts. He won his next race at High Point on August 31 and left immediately for the September 1 Labor Day race at Atlanta's Lakewood Speedway. He arrived late, missed qualifying, and started last. By lap 35 he was leading. He battled Bob Flock all afternoon and won the race -- his third in 15 days. It was his last race.

After winning at Lakewood, Lloyd drove to the home of his brother, Jim, in Burlsboro to spend the night. The following morning their cousin Woodrow Anderson, who had a police record for making moonshine, came to the house to settle a disagreement about some sugar that Lloyd had purchased and charged to Woodrow. Lloyd, Jim, and Woodrow left Jim's house and went to the home of Woodrow's father.

Jim later described the shooting in a police statement: "Woodrow got out of the car to see if it needed any water. Then he told me if I didn't want to get mixed up in anything I had better get out of the car. He jumped on Lloyd, hitting him with his fist.

"He pulled a gun out of the bib of his overalls and as I spoke he shot me in the neck. He turned the gun on Lloyd and shot him through the heart and told me if I opened my mouth he would finish me off."

Woodrow told a different version: "We had a little fuss about a settlement. Lloyd had bought some sugar and charged it to my credit and when I asked him about coming to some agreement about it he said, 'Well, you got it, didn't you?' I told him, 'Yes, I got it, but it ought to be figured in when we settle up.' Then both of them jumped on me and I run. I run through the house and got my daddy's .32 Smith and Wesson pistol and come out and tried to get in my car.

"They wouldn't let me get in and it looked like they were about to give me a whuppin' so I started shootin'. One word led to another. The first thing I knew we was quarreling, then I was runnin', then I was shootin'. That's all there was to it."

Woodrow Anderson was tried in late October and sentenced to life in prison.

From the Atlanta Constitution

Lloyd Seay, lanky, blond and youthful, was well known in Atlanta and all along the highways to the mountains. Federal, state and county officers knew him as the most daring of all the daredevil crew that hauled liquor from mountain stills to Atlanta. They had many a wild chase when they hit his trail, but they only caught him rarely, for he handled his car down the twisting blacktop hill-country roads at a pace few of them cared to follow.

He will be missed by race fans as well. Fifteen thousand people saw him race his souped-up Ford around the track at Lakewood Monday, running a hundred miles in 89 minutes towin more than $450.00 in cash.

Lloyd Seay, the smiling blond Georgia daredevil who gave speed fans at the July 27 stock car race here their biggest thrill when he turned his No. 7 Ford up on its running board as he negotiated the north turn, and who won the August 24 race here, will race no more.